Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Poem-Escape

   Escape.
   The long, black, cracked tongue of static highway rolls on ahead
   Racing out to the heart of a starless horizon
   Summer ignites
   And my American engine is seething
   Swallowing the miles
   Dragging me headlong toward the mirthless night
   Seeking shelter from a wild, blue eyed,
   Girl.

Low.
   Across the western twilight sky storm clouds gather
   Swallowing the vast magenta tide of dusk in its wake
   So I step on the gas and rush out to meet the rain
  
“Damn it.”
   I scream out to the night and into the storm
   I can’t shake her electric presence
   Her eyes burned hollow in constant dreams
   Her satin flesh warm in slumber beside me
   Her misty voice a song as soft as rain
  
Frantic.
   I race away in to the maw of the storm
   Sliding reckless through bizarre constellations of traffic
   Betrayed by the memory of her touch
   Knowing I will never really be able to leave her behind

So I stop.
   Climbing out to let the rain embrace me
   To let the lightening rise and tear away my fear
   To let the thunder shake loose my tiny demons
   To think of her without the shedding of a tear
                                                       

2 comments: