Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Writers Block

  Right now, I'm trying to work my way through a terrible case of writers block. I am in the middle of re-writing my first book "Sierra Court Blues" and was zipping through it at a decent pace. I've made a lot of changes to this second draft trying to tighten the story arc and better develop my characters. All was going really well until I got to Chapter 8. With chapter 8 I've hit the wall.
   I know the story. I lived the story. But somehow in my attempt to lay it all out in a "fashionable" literary style and move the story from A to B, I'm stuck.
  Part of my problem springs from being intensely aware of my craft. I know what this chapter needs to accomplish. I know where it is going and how it needs to get there. But for the past two weeks, I've stared at it more than I've added to it. The awareness of all these elements has stopped me dead in my tracks.
  All of my training tells me not to stop, not to fall prey to my current lack of direction. Writer's write, even when they're not inspired. It's a job like any other. You have to go at it even when your not feeling it. And right now, folks, I'm not feeling it.
  But it's only the book I'm having trouble with. I am also working on a really long poem and that's going well. I work on my poetry during breaks from the book. It keeps me writing and offers a diversion.
  Right now, though, I'm completely diverted.
  I want to get this book done! It took me 5 years to write the first draft. Of course there were big swipes of time in that five years where I didn't work on it as much as I would have liked but I never gave up on it. It's a story I need to tell!
  I started on the re-write last September. In six months, I've crafted a really tight story, above and way beyond the first draft. But now it's kicking my ass.
 So I'm asking, should I walk away from it for awhile to gain perspective? Or should I get back in the ring with it and fight it out?

1 comment:

  1. As your biggest fan and supporter I'm going to throw out my opinion...this is something you need to complete for many reasons we've discussed at length and the sooner the better. However, the block can be there for reasons you may not be aware of...my advice would be to attempt to work on the chapter and if after a specified period of time go to your poetry diversion and then try to go back to the chapter...I don't think "forcing" yourself to be inspired is going to produce anything other than frustration. You are in a situation right now where you have the "luxury" to write as the inspiration strikes you and you should make sure you do just that!

    I'm sure this is a temporary block and you'll be back to hammering out the story in to no time!!!

    ReplyDelete