Sunday, August 19, 2012

Saturday Night-A Go-Go

    Last night I took a much needed break from all of my various projects and spent Saturday night making the scene and partying!!
    My cohorts and I started out at a cool retro birthday party for my bands lead singer. It was 1962 all over as he celebrated his 50th birthday. The company was great.The retro clothes were horrible and the food and open bar were awesome!
    I had a wonderful conversation with one Don Peteroy. Like me, he is a poet/writer/musician, who, (along with his lovely wife Phoebe) are members of my singers other band No Consolation. He is this year's winner of Playboy's prestigious short fiction award. His first book Wally comes out in October. We discussed literature and music, discovering we were both big fans of the Beat writers. It was nice to compare notes with a kindred spirit at the beginning of his own literary adventure. (And when he reads this, I am SO jealous of the residency at the Kerouac house-lol!!)
   Not wanting to leave our singer bereft of food and alcohol (especially alcohol) my cohorts and I moved on after a few hours to Ripley's Boat Club to see a band that are friends of my partying cohorts (nameless to protect the guilty!) I can't remember the name of the band but they were great and their guitarist put on a hell of a show!!
   We had a few beers and split a pizza to quell the mad munchies as we jammed to the bands last set. We were a little put off to discover that our bands did a lot of the same songs. But, hell, good material is good material and they did a wonderful job!
   We finished out the evening at Snappers. I had never been there and really like the stage and out door set up. The band there played a good mix of country and classic rock and the crowd never got a good chance to leave the dance floor! Part of the entertainment for me is watching the wild gyrations of the inebriated dancers. I always get a kick out of it when my band is playing and it is even more fun as part of the crowd where I can pay more attention. It is also valuable research for my band, seeing which songs bring the best responses and what brings the feet to the floor.
   So, after a few more shots and more than a few laughs, as the band went into their last song, I relinquished my keys to our designated driver and we headed for the shed.
    It was a great night with some great people and I can't wait to do it again!!!
 
    And just a heads up, My band-The Cosmic Atomic Zombies-will be appearing at the 133 Club this Friday-8/24 starting at 9pm-come thirsty and ready to jam!!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment